Friday, October 27, 2006

Getting to Know the Principal

This week's activity of writing questions to ask an administrator was interesting. I went back in my files to look at the questions we wrote last year when I was on the principal search committee. I wish I knew then what I know now. Most of our questions related to the candidate's skill rather than relationships. I learned that you learn a great deal more about a person from asking questions that bring out answers like, "I'd find out what their interests are and focus on their strengths."

Last summer I interviewed for a position much like my current position except it was for a district rather than a school. The person who interviewed me said something similar to what I heard this week. You can teach anyone a skill. That's easy. Finding a good match relates to the candidates ability to develop good relationships with others. That made a great deal of sense.

For an administrator to be effective, it's probably less important for her to know a great deal about a particular program or strategy and more important for her to be willing to learn and willing to support others as they learn.

As it turns out, I didn't get the job because I didn't have the right skills, or knowledge. I'm sure I would have been great, but it is hard to convey my effectiveness in developing relationships in a 45-minute conversation.

No comments: