Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Change Game

The process of change in an organization is complex. The Change Game was an interesting way to look at the process. I don't think one could really understand the complexities of implementing change in any other way. We've all be part of the process in our own schools at one point of time. We might have read an article or even a book about what its like to experience change personally or within an organization. The game, however was a really effective way to examine the whole process.

The rules of the game were pretty straight forward and easy to understand. We got a slow start to the game because one of the members of our group wanted to really take a lot of time analyze the personalities of the members. I'm more impulsive. I wanted to jump right in and start taking action. In reality, one would never really know all the members of their district that well before conversations began and the stage was set for implementing the change.

I think I would have benefited from hearing what steps other teams took that was more effective. How did other groups approach the process and get their characters to move along farther and faster than we did? Would knowing the secrets of the game apply to implementing change in real life?

I wouldn't say that playing the game was "fun" or "engaging" (maybe I'm just too tired after working a full day and driving over an hour to class), but I really thought I learned a lot from playing the game. I don't think reading about or even talking about implementing change would get the point across as well as playing the game.

No comments: