Saturday, November 11, 2006

Something to Think About

In my previous post, I talked about my principal's strategy for professional development. When I wrote the post, I guess I didn't think about how it was worded. I created a focus on strategies, teaching methods, and innovations, rather than on people. I can see how this happens easily. Upon further reflection, I recognize that the principal is focusing on meeting the teachers' needs as individuals, but she has to look at the big picture, that is how our school performs as a whole. She does see each teacher as an individuals. I can't really say for sure, because I'm not asking her direct questions about the other teachers, but based on what I know first hand, there are a few teachers that are really resistant to change. Talking to them, like in the Change Game isn't working very well.

The principal knows these teachers well. She and her assistants have been in their classrooms several times to see what's going on (or not going on). In addition, all the "resisters" are pretty vocal about their resistance. It's been my experience, that "resisters" like to talk about resisting to try to drum up support. The innovators are quiet. They work hard, soak it all in, stay positive, and have fun. I think the principal's idea of getting the innovators to work with the resisters in a "book club" is a cool idea because the innovators will get the chance to "share" in the context of talking about the book, rather than in a setting like a staff meeting, where it comes across as a little more "combative".

The administration in the building can see what the individual teachers' needs are better than they can see it themselves. The people who want to grow, who admit they need to grow, are growing. Those others don't admit they have a problem (I sound like I work with a bunch of alcoholics), so it's up to the leadership to "guide" them into reform.

No comments: